Last Updated: May 1, 2019
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you sign up to receive email updates or other notifications (such as SMS alerts), fill out a form, make a donation, send us an email, request information, sign up as a volunteer, sign a petition, participate in interactive areas or features of the Site, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we collect may include your name, email address, phone number, social media handles or usernames, and other information you choose to provide.
In addition, the Federal Election Commission, Internal Revenue Service, and state agencies may require us to collect and publicly report certain information from donors.
Information About Your Use of the Site
When you access or use the Site, we automatically collect information about you and may associate such information with information that you provide directly to us. For example, we may collect:
- Log Information: We log information about your access to and use of the Site, such as your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, web browser, access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page that referred you to the Site.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access and use the Site, such as the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use various technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve the Site and your experience on the Site, see which areas and features of the Site are popular, and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on the Site or in emails and that help us to deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, please see the “Your Choices” section below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may obtain information from other sources and combine it with information we collect through the Site. For example, if you make a donation to a third-party website, such as Act Blue, for our benefit (including via the link on the Site), we will obtain certain information about you from the third party that operates that website.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Site;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process donations and transactions, and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your emails, submissions, comments, questions and customer service requests, request feedback, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Site;
- Send you newsletters, and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services;
- Help connect you with volunteer opportunities for candidates and organizations we support;
- Contact you if we need to obtain additional information in order to comply with applicable laws;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with the Site;
- Personalize and improve the Site, and provide advertisements, information, content or features that match user profiles or interests or that are based on the information you provide or the actions you take; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work or to perform services on our behalf;
- With your permission or in accordance with a notification provided by us, with candidates, organizations, campaigns, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives or share similar goals as Virginia Matters, and with organizations that facilitate communications and information sharing among such groups;
- To report required information to the Federal Election Commission, Internal Revenue Service, and state agencies;
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or to respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Virginia Matters, its employees, volunteers, constituents or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of a successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction or in any other situation where information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of Virginia Matters; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
If you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state or local leaders, or to the press.
Links to Other Websites
Social Sharing Features
The Site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you interact with Virginia Matters and share actions you take on the Site via third-party social media sites. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
For more information about interest-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices. In addition, your device may include a feature (such as “Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS or “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” on Android) that allows you to opt out of having certain information collected through applications used for targeted advertising purposes.
Virginia Matters takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Transfer of Information to the United States and Other Countries
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of the Site.
You may opt out of receiving updates, newsletters and other promotional communications by following the instructions in those communications, and you may opt out of receiving SMS alerts by texting STOP at any time. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your use of the Site or any of your donations, transactions or activities.